Masterton is located in the Wairarapa and is 100 kilometres from Wellington, separated by the Rimutaka ranges. Masterton was named after Joseph Masters; an early settler to the area. Europeans initially settled the Masterton area in 1854, using the area mostly for farming. As the area developed, Masterton became a borough in 1877. Settlement continued slowly after this, and Masterton qualified for city status in 1989. Today Masterton is a service town for the surrounding farmers and a retreat for city dwellers. It is a lovely place to set up home. Some residents commute to Wellington for business during the week, enjoying the laid-back relaxation of country life in Masterton as well as the perks of inner-city work in Wellington. Masterton contains service industries as well as a wealth of amenities for local residents. There are supermarkets, specialty stores, clothing shops, cafés, restaurants and other entertainment venues. The town is home to three park areas, all of which offer great outdoor opportunities for the whole family.